A few final pictures from Eureka Springs to start off this entry:
The city quilt guild held a show that we attended. It was not a 'judged show,' but viewers could vote for their favorite quilt. This quilt was the winner. The workmanship and hand quilting were exquisite.
We actually voted for the 'color-wash' quilt shown next. The photograph does not do justice to the maker's artful control of her block arrangement and the use of her batik fabrics.
About 25 different fabrics went into the nine-patch blocks, illustrating once again that a pattern need not be complex to be compelling.
It was difficult to decide what quilt to vote for, as there was an amazing variety of styles and patterns. It's easier to compare when all of the quilts fit into one category.
One way that quilters learn new techniques or explore new design inspirations is through 'challenges.' A particular fabric, block, or theme is proposed, and a deadline is set for completion. Some challenges grab you more than others.
This piece is from a few years back--my first attempt at machine applique. The challenge was to 'use a recognizable amount' of the plaid fabric seen in the urn. (It appears in numerous 'wild flowers' as well.) Doing this project saved me from terminal boredom during three weeks of recovery from wrist surgery.
You never know where your inspiration will come from.
This is Leo (aka Attila the Cat,) our daughter's pet. I assure you he is considering molesting this little red-bud.
He is immortalized in the border of this quilt (below.) The center of this quilt was one of the approximately three million unfinished quilt tops in the universe. I found it in an antique shop, suffering from a bungled attempt to add new blocks to the incomplete whole.
I removed the 'new blocks' and used feedsacks to complete the hand-piecing for the two blocks that were missing, and then designed and added applique vine borders that somewhat controlled the uneven center.
This quilt has gone to live in another state, where Leo sits on it as often as possible.