This is one Mean Old Lady!

This is one Mean Old Lady!
Self-portrait: 'Quilter on Fire'

Thursday, August 9, 2012

August Free Motion Challenge

Eight months of free-motion quilting practice already!  This month's quilt tutorial was difficult for me-- the 'jester's hat' design doesn't come naturally.

I did a lot of practice on my dry-erase board:
Using this is supposed to build my 'muscle memory' and help me follow the design when I move to the machine.

I concentrate on staying calm, moving my hands at an even speed, and slowing the machine at critical moments.
This is hard!  I have a feeling this is not a design you will be seeing on any of my quilts.  The best thing I can say about my work is that the stitches stayed pretty even.  I will keep working at it.

7 comments:

  1. Have you read Malcolm Gladwell's "Tipping Point"? Lots of practice is the key for developing mastery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he did not think this was an original thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it hard too, but it looks like you got it! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good to me....I haven't even tried mine yet...scared of it...lol. But true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, you're being too hard on yourself. Have you looked at everyone else's attempts at the jester hats? This design is more difficult than it looks, and yours is one of the best versions I've seen. Don't give up on it!

    Also -- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this was a hard design but your's looks wonderful! I had to really think when I was drawing or stitching but I love the effect. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done really well with this design. It sure looks easier than it is to quilt. I've been able to draw fairly good hats but quilting them is another story - especially moving them around the surface. Still, I really like the texture they provide and plan to really practice them on a grandson's single bed size quilt in a couple weeks. Maybe the design will be memorized by the time that one is finished!

    ReplyDelete


Rose 'Crepuscular'

Asparagus bed--post harvest

Lake Conway Mutti und Kinder