This is one Mean Old Lady!

This is one Mean Old Lady!
Self-portrait: 'Quilter on Fire'

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The NYT Meta-Puzzle Contest

Last week, the puzzles Monday through Saturday worked together to form a meta-puzzle; the Saturday puzzle included clues for solving the over-arching puzzle.  I solved the 'second' part first, and after a certain amount of diddling around, I found my way to the instructions hinted at by the first clue.  After that, it was just a matter of writing out the sequence to be sure that my intuition about the final answer was correct.  

In a feat of crossword construction that is certainly impressive, Patrick Berry outdid himself.  I myself attempted a feat of construction--unable to resist a possible reader-participation project:

Substitution of a pdf file for the usual Across-Lite puzzles on one day of the week meant that I had to correct for the disproportion (top of die); and frugal re-use of the back of some 'neon colors' pages meant that I had one lime-green face.  All of this just adds to the character, right?  

The meta-puzzle referred to a 'famous crossing'--JULIUS CAESAR:  THE DIE IS CAST.
A lot of fun!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no it just ate my post!

    Hi, MOL, it's me, spenyc from the NYT XWD site. Dang! I had a whole post and then it told me to select a profile and took me over to create a blog I don't want. Don't you love technology?

    ANYhow, as I said, I admire your Quilter on Fire. I'd love to see your storm at sea bigger, too -- is that possible? And are there others on your site...oh, I saw the Grandmother's Flower Garden on the bed in your hosue -- is that yours, or vintage? Lovely, whichever.

    And thqt XWD cube is a hoot!

    You can see some of my quilts at

    https://sites.google.com/site/xxxxxxx/home/craft-resume

    except were there are x's please put suzieelliott2011.

    There's also a link to the one puzzle I had published in the Times, back in the '90s when I was an editor at GAMES. If you think that was a dream job...you're right! But when they moved it to Pennsylvania, I wasn't ready to follow.

    Well, gotta get ready for a seminar tonight, but at least I've touched base. I'll "see" you soon over at the NYT site.

    Ciao,

    Suzie

    ReplyDelete


Rose 'Crepuscular'

Asparagus bed--post harvest

Lake Conway Mutti und Kinder